Wednesday 22 April 2009

Open-Water.......AT LAST

Finally, the weather has started to get better and the water is warming up. For the last week or so I have been getting into the sea and the resevoir at every opportunity. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with my ability to swim in cold water after such a long winter...

It started with a short swim in the river back in March. It was 7 Celsius and my extra weight proved a big help in keeping out the cold. Then about two weeks ago I headed down to Sandycove with Dave for a lap of the Island. It was warmer than I was expecting but I had completely forgotten how to swim in waves, but I'm sure I will get used to it again quickly. Now we have a a few swims in the Resevoir and Sandycove. My next task is to do a double lap of Sandycove and an hour swim.

Now I am really looking forward to the Distance Camp in Cork for two weeks in June. It is sure to be a great experience with so many swimmers coming from around Ireland and overseas, also the Great Freda Streeter, a.k.a. The Channel General is coming for the Champion of Champions on the 20th and the 7hr swim on the 21st.

Nothing much else to say really only that everything is on track and it's only four or five weeks to the summer holidays... Just a reminder to say thanks to everyone who as sponsored me so far, there have been some really great donations on the website, keep them coming.

Click here to DONATE...

Also, check out Lisa Cummins' blog. Lisa is from Blackrock in Cork and is also swimming the same week as me. But she is swimming all the way to France and back again! It's certainly worth having a read...

No comments: